It’s the last hours (days) of camp.
On Monday, the Sharks announced they had reassigned the nine players they had called up from the AHL Barracuda for the weekend, and assigned three players (Goldobin, Karlsson, Mueller) to the AHL Barracuda. This leaves the team with 23 players on the roster (about $1.99M under the cap) which could be the season opening roster.
On the Barracuda side, 10 were released/assigned from camp (7 to ECHL Allen, including G Joel Rumpel and newly signed to two-way AHL deal Dan Federico; 3 to other ECHL teams). That leaves Doremus, Helewka, and Timmins without contracts (announced).
Raffi Torres had his hearing Monday with the NHL Department of Player Safety for his Match Penalty from Saturday’s game in Anaheim over the hit of Silfverberg. (He waived an in-person hearing.) He was given a 41-game suspension (half a season). No word on if Torres or the Sharks will appeal the suspension or let it stand.
(How it impacts the Sharks roster/cap situation during a suspension…. Torres’ contract would count against the Sharks cap, with the funds going to the Player emergency fund. Torres would take up one of the 23 NHL roster spots. Now, if there was a situation where less than 18 skaters were healthy/able to play, the Sharks could do an emergency recall, exceeding the roster count for the duration of the emergency, if they remained under the salary cap. So being able to only have 22 “active” players on the roster may not be as big a hardship as it might appear at first glance.)
(It is left to the reader of this blog to find reaction articles on Torres’ suspension. While I do not condone his actions, neither will I further vilify him by sharing those articles.)
News of the half week
- Practice 10/5: DeBoer
- Practice 10/5: Pavelski
- Practice 10/5: Couture
- Practice 10/5: Thornton
- Practice 10/5: Jones
- Practice 10/5: Donskoi
SJ Mercury News
- WTC: Sharks send Goldobin, Karlsson and Mueller to Barracuda
- WTC: Sharks name Joe Pavelski captain and Joe Thornton, Logan Couture assistant captains
- Sharks’ DeBoer had work ethic, leadership ingrained from early age
- DeBoer On Naming Pavelski As Sharks Captain: ‘It’s His Time’
- Rink Notes: Donskoi, DeMelo Land Spots On Sharks Opening Night Roster; Couture Gets A Letter
- Goldobin, Mueller Will Benefit From Playing With Barracuda
- Sharks reassign three as opening night roster may be set
- Sharks name Joe Pavelski team captain
- With Pavelski as captain, Sharks can finally move forward