On Friday, Jason Demers dressed for the 11am practice, but was called off the ice before things got started. About 90 minutes later, it was announced he’d been traded.
The San Jose Sharks traded D Jason Demers, a 2016 3rd round draft pick, retaining 35% of the contract value (through 2015-16), to the Dallas Stars for D Brendan Dillon (RFA next summer).
Each is expected to be in his new team’s line up Saturday (both wearing jersey #4).
While a fan favorite, Jason Demers was not the impactful defenseman that had fans and pundits clamoring he was an untouchable.
Dillon brings a physicality that Demers could never bring. And as he was a late bloomer, has developed other skills and abilities to make his presence felt on the ice.
I’ll miss Jason (Daddy), but look forward to see what Brendan can bring to the Sharks line up.
But this is not the end. GM Doug Wilson looks to improve his team daily (until the trade deadline). And with Mike Brown skating, a roster spot will need to be opened to activate him from the IR, so I’m expecting more changes to come. (And Raffi Torres has returned to San Jose, so there’s a second forward spot to be opened up in a few weeks.) Some of the more recent healthy scratches (like Burish) could be the next out of town.
San Jose Mercury News
- Sharks acquire D Dillon, ship Demers to Dallas
- Demers trade could be important event in Sharks history
- Demers ‘surprised’ as Sharks deal him for big defenseman
- Blue line swap could benefit both Sharks and Stars
- Sharks Trade Demers to Stars For Brenden Dillon
- Demers: Sharks Fans Accepted Him Like ‘Family’, San Jose Is ‘Home’
SBN: Fear the Fin
- Sharks trade Jason Demers to Dallas for defenseman Brenden Dillon
- Wilson on Dillon: ‘We were looking for a big left-shot defenseman’
- Five questions with Defending Big D about Brenden Dillon
- Demers for Dillon swap reaffirms Sharks’ commitment to Burns on defense
Dallas Morning News
SBN: Defending Big D
- BREAKING: Dallas Stars Trade Brenden Dillon To San Jose Sharks for Jason Demers
- Brenden Dillon Trade: Dallas Stars Take a Big Risk to Find Balance on Defense
- Who Is Jason Demers? Fear The Fin Sheds Light on Newest Dallas Stars Defenseman
- Dallas Stars Trade Brenden Dillon To San Jose Sharks
- Trade: Stars get Demers from Sharks, send Dillon to San Jose
- Demers surprised by trade to Dallas: ‘It’s a business, right?’