So, the Sharks let the Ducks score first, but gave them their first regulation loss when doing so and won the season series 4-0-1. (And put a damper on the Ducks’ father’s trip.)
It was an early start, which usually means a few seats get filled late from those not arriving before the 7pm puck drop, but exacerbated by a fatal accident that tied up southbound CalTrain for more than an hour.
Earlier in the day, was the official announcement of five-team AHL Pacific division in California. AHL President/CEO Dave Andrews stayed for the Sharks game and dropped the ceremonial first puck.
And in a bit of retroness, the upper bowl started the wave (counter clockwise) in the middle of the 3rd period. (I don’t recall there being a wave done for perhaps a couple of seasons, and then it was clockwise.) Lower bowl attempted to participate as well.
Congratulations to Matt Irwin on his first career game winner.
Third line impressed, and Melker Karlsson is making fans smile!
Nieto took a puck to the face in the first, but returned to the ice in the second.
Sharks were one shy of breaking a franchise record with five goals in a period.
Five players had multi-point nights for the Sharks.
Sharks Centric News
Sharks team news
- Postgame videos
- AHL relocation vids
San Jose Mercury News
- WTC: Sharks vs. Ducks pregame: Wouldn’t it be nice to have Tommy Wingels tonight?
- Sharks one of five teams creating new Pacific Division in AHL
- Sharks blitz Ducks with five-goal second period
- WTC: Sharks-Ducks postgame: After prolonged slump, Marleau regaining his touch
CSN Bay Area/California
- Prospects will now be in Sharks’ backyard
- Instant Replay: Sharks explode in second, beat Ducks 6-3
- Rewind: Depth scoring keys Sharks’ convincing win over Ducks
The Gackle Report
San Francisco Chronicle
Neutral Centric News
The Hockey News
Opponent Centric News
- Quotes from Murray, Schulman on AHL Franchise in San Diego
- Postgame Quotes: January 29 at San Jose
- AnaheimDucks Second period dooms #NHLDucks, win streak ends at six. RECAP: bit.ly/Recap_012915 #ANAvsSJS
- AnaheimDucks “Once they got the 2-1 lead, they were off the races.” – #NHLDucks Boudreau reacts to tonight’s loss. #ANAvsSJS
Orange County Register
- Ducks’ backup goalie Bryzgalov doesn’t do the job
- Ducks, Kings to move AHL teams to California
- icemancometh Six-game win streak for #NHLDucks ends in a haze of goals against Ilya Bryzgalov as the #SJSharks roll, 6-3. ocregister.com/articles/ocreg…
Long Beach Press Telegram
Los Angeles Times
- latimespugmire Ducks’ night goes wrong in second period, fall to Sharks, 6-3 fw.to/SJSt0AU
- latimespugmire AHL’s new Pacific Division to boost hockey in Southland fw.to/k0BVZ5d
SBN: Anaheim Calling